New plans reveal what will be built on the site of the former Worcester swimming pool

A PLAN for the construction of new houses on the site of an old municipal swimming pool has been formally submitted to the council.

Sanctuary Housing has revealed its proposals to build a mix of 40 affordable two to four bed houses and one bed apartments on the site of the former Sansome Walk swimming pool in Worcester.

The old swimming pool closed at the end of 2016 and was finally demolished this summer.

The plans include two buildings housing 28 apartments and 12 housing units as well as 87 parking spaces and a bicycle storage room.

Almost a third of the parking spaces will be reserved for residents of Chestnut Street.

A statement attached to the request said: “The proposal site is a filling site in a highly sustainable urban area with good access to public transport, good bicycle and walking access, and easy shopping and services. within walking distance.

“The proposal will increase density, make efficient use of land and provide new affordable housing in a sustainable location, contributing to Worcester’s housing goals and the government’s goal of increasing housing supply.”

The filing of the town planning application for housing comes after several years of delay.

The derelict swimming pool was due to be demolished in early 2019, but the work was delayed due to a higher amount of asbestos than expected.

It was finally demolished this year, at an estimated cost of £ 2.64million.

The pool closed in December 2016 following the massive, multi-million pound redevelopment of the town’s Perdiswell Leisure Center.

The council agreed to go ahead with the demolition of the building in January 2017 before deciding that the land would be used for new homes in July later that year.

City council agreed to sell the site to Sanctuary Housing and the YMCA in March 2018 and plans were revealed to convert the site into 22 two-bedroom condominium homes, 76 accommodation units for 18-35 year olds, a business center and a common corporate space.

Several surveys were carried out in 2017 to find out the amount of asbestos present in the building before the call for tenders for the demolition contract.

Further investigations in September 2018 revealed more asbestos than expected, which led to further investigations.

Plans backed by the council in July 2019 indicated that demolition should have started in February 2020 with an initial completion date of October revealed in committee documents.

City council then said in February last year – just before the first Covid lockdown – that it hoped the building would be demolished “by the end of the year.”

Source link

About Richard Chandler

Avatar

Check Also

Brewster Place Ribbon Cut

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) – Brewster Place officially unveiled its new cultural arts center on Wednesday …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *