Security measures at private villas in Lonavala are cause for concern

The city council asked the authorities to make a detailed report of authorized and unauthorized swimming pools built in bungalows and private houses in Lonavala

The death of two tourists in the last 15 days from the swimming pools of private tourist villas in Lonavala has caused security concerns and measures have been taken during the rental. The city council has called for the safety and security of tourists to be the top priority when conducting such business activities.

On July 13, a two-year-old boy drowned in the swimming pool of a private bungalow in Lonavala a day before his birthday and that of his twin sister. In another incident, a 13-year-old boy died of electrocution while getting out of the swimming pool.

The death of these children is a regrettable incident that has tarnished Lonavala’s tourism industry, and the issue of the safety of tourists in swimming pools has been brought to light.

General Manager of Pandit Patil, Lonavala City Council, said consecutive deaths of tourists at private villas have created security concerns. “Against the backdrop of recent casualties in private villa swimming pools, we have requested to make a detailed report of authorized and unauthorized swimming pools built in bungalows and private houses in Lonavala. Further action will be taken depending on the findings of the report,” he said.

The city council suspects that given the high rent for bungalows with private pools, many landlords have built illegal pools without meeting safety standards. Patil was instructed to carry out a full investigation as a matter of priority and take action accordingly.

The council called for no villas to be rented without checking the necessary security measures. The city authorities have further stated that tourists must follow all the rules and regulations of registered hotels, which is why they book private villas, where, in exchange for a little extra money, the owners allow them to avoid all restrictions.

Close story

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads


  • Schoolchildren leaving a school after school hours in Prayagraj.  (PHOTOS HT FOR REPRESENTATION ONLY)

    Alarmed Schools in Sangam City Take Proactive Measures to Stop Youths from Straying

    Alarmed by the arrest of 11 students, including 10 minors from well-known schools in Sangam town, for their alleged involvement in illegal student gang activities, including the dropping of crude bombs, schools in the town have stepped up their advocacy efforts to ensure that more young people stay on track. There was a sense of panic in many prominent schools in Prayagraj after the arrests.

  • I want a proper investigation regarding the threat made in the letter, said SP MLA Vijma Yadav.  (FOR REPRESENTATION PURPOSES)

    Prayagraj: SP MLA Vijma Yadav’s son receives death threat letter, FIR filed

    Samajwadi Party MP from Pratappur Assembly Headquarters in Prayagraj, Vijma Yadav received a threat against MP Vijma Yadav’s son through a letter sent by registered mail. On his complaint, an FIR was registered against unknown disbelievers at the Cantonment police station, police said. “I want a proper investigation regarding the threat made in the letter,” she added. The court had also imposed a fine worth ₹1 lakh on each of them.

  • The complaint said there were marks on the body that clearly showed he had been tortured before he was killed.  (Photo for representation)

    FIR against ex-Chitrakoot SP, 13 other cops for killing man in fake encounter

    An FIR has been filed against former Superintendent of Police, Chitrakoot and 13 other officers for killing a man in an alleged encounter on March 31, 2021. Bhalchandra Yadav, who is believed to have been a member of the Gauri gang, was kidnapped by Chitrakoot Police as he returned from a court in Satna, Madhya Pradesh. He was killed the same evening during a fake encounter, his wife Nathunia said.

  • Traffic police fined a violator with an e-challan machine in Katraj chowk on Saturday.  (Ravindra Joshi/HT PHOTO)

    Pune traffic police are again armed with e-challan machines

    The absence of the Pune Traffic Police on duty despite being on duty roster a few days ago has taken a welcome turnaround following the instructions of the Pune Police Commissioner. Although visible traffic policemen were seen in the Yerawada area which houses the traffic branch headquarters, they opted to stay on the side of the roads. At the Bund Garden chowk, the police could be seen inside their office and not on the road as it was their workstation.

  • “There were 48 doctors on the transfer list who were Tier 2 or from Ayush or dental executive.  The error was notified in the letter of July 16, sent by the health directorate.  These 48 transfers have been cancelled”, indicates the decree of the cabinet of the special secretary (health).  (FOR REPRESENTATION PURPOSES)

    The government cancels the transfers of 48 doctors

    The transfer orders of 48 government doctors were revoked by the state government among the 313 doctors transferred by the health department on June 30. The Uttar Pradesh Department of Health has a total staff of over 1,400 doctors spread across 75 districts. Representation against transfers was given by physicians at all levels of one, two, three and four. More than a dozen office workers were being scanned for errors in transferring doctors, sources said.

About Richard Chandler

Check Also

Dunedin mayor calls comments about transgender people at swimming pool ‘disgusting’

New ZealandUpdated Jul 26, 2022 6:24 PM2 minute read Dunedin Mayor Aaron Hawkins was unimpressed …