An Irishman has been found dead by a British family in the swimming pool of their Spanish villa.
The shocking discovery was made at the home of the Costa Del Sol holiday hotspot.
According to The Olive Press, an English-language outlet in Spain, the man was found shortly after 5 a.m. last Saturday in Benavista.
It is believed he hit his head and fell into the pool after being startled by a dog.
Police were called early Saturday morning to collect his remains.
It is understood his body has since been sent for a toxicology report.
The British family who rented the villa have since moved into a nearby hotel while investigations are ongoing.
The Spanish police are puzzled over the case.
The man’s family reportedly owns a large vacation home next door.
A neighbor told The Olive Press: “It’s really terrible. Horrible what happened and a real mystery.
Most read in The Irish Sun
“All I know is that it was very dark.”
Separately, a Donegal man died in tragic circumstances while on holiday abroad earlier this month.
The man, locally named Martin Duffy, died while on a family holiday in Greece.
Mr Duffy, in his 50s from the border area of Lifford, was married with three children.
The exact circumstances of the tragedy are not yet known.
The Department of Foreign Affairs is providing consular assistance to Mr. Duffy’s family.
He was well known in football circles and was a life member of Deele Harps FC.